Re: Troubleshooting 69 MGB

To: RETWIZBANG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Troubleshooting 69 MGB
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 10:40:12 -0700
Hi Rich,

  I have a '69 B.  If you have the right carbs (AUD 326), the rear carb
has a port on it for the vacuum advance hose.  That's where you need to
connect it.  The vac unit is intended for carb-ported vacuum.  Hooke to
the manifold it's advanced all the time, not what you want.

  I use 10 deg advance (compromise for reg gas), set with a timing
light, vac unit disconnected, @ 850 RPM.  Under these conditions, run up
the engine speed and check to see if the timing advances.  Another way
to ck the mechanical advance unit is to grasp the rotor and try to
rotate it in the direction of normal rotation -- CCW.  If it will move a
bit and then spring back when it's released, it's most likely OK.  If it
doesn't move the mechanism needs attention.  Be sure to keep it oiled.

  Anything else you need to knowabout the stock setup, contact me
privately & I'll try to help.

  Cheers,

  CR

///