Re: Proper Installation of Thermostat Housing

To: eric@erickson.on.net
Subject: Re: Proper Installation of Thermostat Housing
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 09:27:22 -0500
On Thu, 10 May 2001 23:10:01 +0000 Eric <eric@erickson.on.net> writes:
> FlynShoot@aol.com wrote:
>

> > I removed the old housing, removed the old gasket, cleaned all
> > surfaces until smooth and clean, put a thin bead of Blue permatex
> on
> > the housing, I put a  small bead of permatex on the block I lined
> the
> > housing up inserted the bolts and snugged the bolts down in a
> crossing
> > pattern.
> >

> I can't imagine not using a cork gasket here.  I think this would
> solve
> your problem (works for me).

I had a bit of a problem with a cork gasket.  For some reason, either the
sealant I used (Hylomar) or some paint left on the block interacted with
the cork gasket.  It literally melted away!  The cork gaskets also have a
tendency to squeeze out of the gap if you tighten them too much, which is
easy to do.

I found also that my thermostat housing was so corroded that there wasn't
a whole lot of sealing surface left.  I flattened out and cleaned up the
sealing surface by rubbing it on a large knife sharpening stone.  I then
sealed the studs per Barney's suggestion.  For a gasket, I made my own
out of a thick paper gasket material that I bought at my local parts
store.  The material is made specifically for water pumps and other
cooling system parts.  No leaks so far!

A big sharpening stone is a great thing to have around for cleaning up
and "truing" gasket surfaces.  Make sure it is as flat as you can find,
because not all of them are.

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII
'51 MGTD