FW: Tyres (Again) - There is NO debate!

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: FW: Tyres (Again) - There is NO debate!
From: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mediaone.net>
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 21:40:54 -0400
David:

Each to his own. I still don't see ANY "debate" here though. Discussion,
yes - Debate - No. There is a lot of FACTUAL information posted both ways in
these messages. In your original post, you were asking for help/advice. I
gave it to you, from my actual experience.

In addition to loving MG's, I also am an old American muscle car hotrodder,
that also spent 27 years working in the automobile dealership business one
half in the back end (mechanic and service manager) and then the other half
of the time in the front end (sales, finance, leasing and management). My
opinions are formed from years of hands-on experiences.

Less than 5 percet difference in tire circumference is really "nuthin" on a
street rod, to put it in southern vernacular. My B is a "street rod" (of the
era).

I don't see you and I having much to debate here at all. We are not
comparing opinions on the same thing. This is NOT an apples to apples
discussion - and you agree with me on the hard/soft tire thing.

I also have a special interest in and have owned several various Volkswagen
products, most being equipped with Continentals. And, I totally agree with
you. They ARE quite a bit a firmer, harder rubber tire in general. THAT, in
conjunction with more rubber in contact with the road, is probably much of
what you are experiencing with your ride and handling situation, not the
other ingredients of our "discussion".

In addition to everything else I said, the BF Goodrich Radial TA tire has a
high performance name and reputation here in the US. Also, the larger
tire/wheel combo fills up the wheel-wells real good, giving the car a really
aggressive look, that fits with my "muscle car/hot rod" background. That is
the main thing that I was looking for in a set of tires when I bought the
Radial TA's. The good ride and handling and everything else positive that I
have mentioned just came as an extra bonus.

I really NEED a 60's era American hot rod to completely fill my desires!!!
However, I only have time and space for the B, and the B is even more
important to me so I guess it'll just have to do. I have started thinking
about "supercharging" the B to fill my "hot rod" needs. I've looked into it
quite a bit. Paxton made a unit for the MG (that I understand produces
approx. 180 HP on a solid engine) while it was in production. Paxton units
are still available - and would be in keeping with keeping my car "improved
of the era".

I would love nothing better than to "blow away" those pesky Miata's at the
stoplights!!!!

You're from the UK, huh? The Internet sure has made the world a lot smaller
now. The wonders of computers!!!

Nice corresponding with you!

Jerry
73 B Black Beauty