Re: Intermittent electrical problem -- help!

To: wisem@db.erau.edu, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Intermittent electrical problem -- help!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 10:12:12 EDT
In a message dated 5/14/01 7:37:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wisem@db.erau.edu writes:

> However, that did not do the trick -- the instruments still aren't
> working.  Any other ideas on the problem?  Or how I can find it in a

- - - - - - - - - - - -

The Prince of Darkness does not create problems in a scientific manner, so
why should you be able to track one down that way!?!  :-)

Have you made enlargements of the wiring diagram of your car and hi-lited all
the wires in the offending circuit?  This is a trick that I post about twice
a year, hoping it will sink in.  It makes it easier to trace the wires.

Get some wires with aligator clpis on both ends at your local Radio Shack.
Create a parallel wire with the jumpers and replace each wire in the circuit
until you find the one that is bad.

Alternate plan - take apart every connector on every wire in the problem
circuit.  (Do them one at a time so you don't get too confused.)  Clean them
with a can of TV Tuner Cleaner (also available at Radio Shack) and a small
wire brush or steel wool.  Crimp them with pliers so they are tight.

Make sure the instrument voltage regulator is good too.

Does anybody remember taking apart your old mechanical TV tuner and cleaning
the contacts?  And they still make the spray for it.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport