RE: window rattle

To: "'DenverD'" <DenverD@Texan.dk>, mgs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: window rattle
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 09:34:54 -0700
Been there, done that.  Doing it again to my 65B race car.  The difference
is incredible.

Plan on doing one side at a time, and I would recomend doing it over a
weekend, as there is glue setting time involved.

The rattle is caused by the window slide felts having worn out.  These are
readily available, but do require dismantling the window mechanism to do
correctly.  When you are in there it is a good idea to replace the door top
seals and the vent window seals.  The 63-67 vent window is slightly
different than the later, but the gist is the same.

Pull the door panel on the Friday evening.  Using WD40 or equiv. spray the
nuts at the bottom of the quarter lights and the nuts retaining the bottom
of the slides.  Have a beer, then go to bed.

Saturday morning, remove the quarter-light assy.  On the 65 this does
involve drilling out a rivet that attaches the inner chrome trim to the top
of the door.  Once the quarterlight is out, it's a really good time to
replace the rubber seal around the quarter window.  Be very, very, very
careful undoing the nut at the bottom of the window, as the stud is fragile
and can snap.  WD40 the heck out of the stud and proceed carefully.  Did I
say be careful here.

Strip out the worn slide felt, clean up and glue new felt in place.  Do the
same with the rear slide assy.  Let the glue set overnight.  The vent window
felt does not go all the way to the top, install the new corner block at the
top to see where it should reach.

This is a very good time to replace the window wipe, which is riveted to the
door top.

Sunday, reassemble the slides and window mechanism.  Use some white lithium
grease on the winder slides.  Carefully align everything to the original
witness marks and you should be ok.  Note.  the rubber that goes under the
vent window needs to be trimmed slightly to clear the chrome trim that is
riveted to the door.

Parts list.

Front and Rear Flex Channel
Vent Window Seal
Vent Window Frame to Body Seal
Door Top to Glass Seal
Vent Window Frame Corner Block
1/8" rivets (I use aluminium)

Tools:

WD40 or equiv. with nozzle
White Lithium Grease
Rubber Cement
Drill with 1/8" bit
Rivet Gun (The best type has a long nose)
Very Sharp Knife
Blunt Screwdriver (for cleaning out the old track rubber)
7/16 and 1/2 wrenches and sockets
Torx or Phillips screwdriver

Lots of care and patience!

Good Luck.  I'm doing mine tonight.

Kelvin.

> when i close the door on the right side of my 65B i have to blow
> the horn at the same time so folks won't notice how the window bang
> around inside the door..
>
> is that a several hour, or several DAY job?
> anyone done it able to provide a parts list to have on hand before
> beginning...
>
> thanks in advance..
>
> DenverD - A Texan in Denmark
> 65B # GHN3L/33680