Re: Totalled MGs

To: Justin Lehrer <justinl8@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Totalled MGs
From: George <aigel.geo@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 18:09:41 -0700 (PDT)
Hi Justin:

> Has anyone sold an MG or bought
> one with a salvage title?  Does it really hurt the
> value of the car?

Let me ask you this: Would you buy a car with a salvage title?
If you would, would you want to pay as much for it than for a car w/o a
salvage title? I think the answer to this question is pretty obvious.

A car with a salvage title clearly indicates that it has been in an
accident that defenitly was more than just a fender bender. Natural fear
of a potential buyer would be frame damage, improper repair, rust etc...

You need to find out if you want to keep the car long and how much it will
be to bring it back. If it is going to be a bearable expense and you want
to hold on to the car for a long time, I would not worry about the resale
value and just try to document the repairs well to mend the fear of a
potential buyer in the far future.

Being rather flaky and selling cars faster than other people, I would try
to find an identical car with solid body (good luck) a blown drivetrain
and make two out of one using a non salvage titled car you buy. Of course
this can be pretty much any B but you would want to watch the CA laws
which don't allow for happy drivetrain-swapping. This might be a lot less
trouble than fixing body damage. I am sure not the only one that prefers
mechanical work over body repairs!

Just my two cents,

George 67B
http://auctions.yahoo.com/