RE: Sebring MGC (?)

To: "'WSpohn4@aol.com'" <WSpohn4@aol.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sebring MGC (?)
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:04:15 -0700
> Would I build a relica to go racing? Not unless my prime interest was
> nostalgia, rather than racing!
>
> To each his own, I guess.

Interesting mis-spelling.  I think you may be onto a new word to describe
replicas of old relics.

Bill:

        You have put it into a nutshell.  There are those in the vintage
racing community who are there to race.  There are those to whom nostalgia
and history are important.  I'm glad that in most groups there are room for
both.  It's the spirit that is important.  Having seen this MGC whatever in
person I believe that it has a spirit that belongs on a race track, with a
group of other cars of the period.

        Replicas are very controversial.  Each club has it's own rules
regarding eligability, which hopefully reflect the beliefs of it's members.
I personally believe that if someone is willing to go to the trouble and
expense of recreating a point in time competition vehicle, then hopefully
others will appreciate the effort and allow it to play.  I am not in support
of people who wildly modify vehicles in order to achieve a performance edge.
Or those who are ego motivated to have the bestest and fastest.

I'm not the most even minded on this subject as my 70 MGB was ineligible in
my local vintage race group.  Yet cars with faked papers were accepted with
a wink.  This sat pretty heavily on someone who had supported the club by
corner working for three years.  I built my 65 fake sebring car as a result
of this experience, since it isn't just another go-fast MG.  It may not be
as fast as the heavily modified lightweights, but it is pretty and
represents a nod to the history of MG.

Kelvin.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list