Re: Engine Oils and Viscosity

To: Richard Lindsay <rolindsay@dgrc.com>, <bobmgtd@home.com>
Subject: Re: Engine Oils and Viscosity
From: Larry Macy <macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2001 14:32:20 -0400
Personally I like #1 ;-)

At this exact moment in time 5/29/01 10:04 PM, "Richard Lindsay"
<rolindsay@dgrc.com> made the profound statement:

> (1) Shoot Rick.  He's on one of his techno-posts.  or
> (2) for a healthy engine, use a multi-viscosity oil with as
> small a viscosity range as possible.  Why?  Because, although
> the polymers thicken the oil they provide NO LUBRICATION and
> in fact, their addition dilutes the lubricating properties of
> the oil!
>
>  I like being a physicist.
>
> best,
>
> rick
>
>> I've used a number of different brands of 20W50 in my MGs, and
>> I swear some are thicker than others. I just tried Pennzoil
>> and it seems the thinest.  Quaker State gets my vote for the
>> thickest. This is based on my totally subjective impression of
>> pouring rate, oil consumption and pressure reading on the gauge.
>> I just wondered if anyone else has noticed a difference.
>>
>> BTW: Does anyone have an opinion on which brand is best?
>>
>> Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)

Larry B. Macy, Ph.D.
macy@bbl.med.upenn.edu
System Administrator/Manager
Neuropsychiatry Section
Department of Psychiatry
University of Pennsylvania
3400 Spruce St. - 1015 Gates
Philadelphia, PA 19104

 I have great faith in fools - my friends call it self-confidence.
 - Edgar Allen Poe

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list