Re: Front Disk Brakes

To: wtsnyder@juno.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Front Disk Brakes
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 16:40:51 EDT
In a message dated 5/31/01 2:54:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wtsnyder@juno.com writes:

> My question: The outer pads on both left and right sides were worn
> considerably more than the inner pads, probably by a factor of 50%. There
> seems to be no way for the calipers to adjust themselves to remain
> centered. Am I missing something? If there is no self-centering
> mechanism, is there any way to adjust the caliper and manually center it?
> Should the brake pistons or other parts be lubricated in any way while

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

On my Midget the calipers are solid mounted, not floating.  I don't have a B,
but I suspect they are NOT floating calipers.  Both sides (both pistons in
each caliper) should move at the same rate, which will give even wear on both
pads.  If you aren't getting even wear, you need to rebuild the calipers, or
send them to White Post and get them rebuilt.

Rebuilding a brake caliper is not difficult.  Order two rebuild kits and all
new pistons.  Then follow the directions in your shop manual.

BTW, there is no lubrication for the pistons other than the brake fluid
inside the calipers.  The pistons have seals to hold the fluid inside.  If
the pistons get corroded, they get sluggish and the calipers need to be
rebuilt.  Lubricate everything with fresh brake fluid as you reassemble.

This is a good time to inspect your flex hoses and replace if they are
showing signs of wear.  Also, since you have to bleed the brakes anyway, why
not replace all that old brake fluid?

Good luck and Safety Fast,

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward