Re: Working on modern cars EXAMPLES (quite long

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Working on modern cars EXAMPLES (quite long
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 09:03:18 -0500
   Opinions are so varied on this topic that we almost forgot
one of the most important issues, one that perhaps is biasing
all our opinions:  All modern cars are not alike!
   Some manufacturers actually help DIY mechanics (like Rover)
while others (like BMW) actively impede or discourage DIY work.
There's enough variation there to upset all our conclusions!
   So to put it into perspective, here are my subjective
experiences.  YMMV:

(1) My '70 MGB-GT is really easy to work on.  Straight forward
   mechanicals, good documentation, excellent parts availability.

(2) My '79 MGB LE is almost as easy to work on.  Straight
   forward mechanicals except for the silly emissions spaghetti
   explosion all over the engine bay, good documentation,
   excellent parts availability.

(3) My '79 Ferrari is moderately difficult to work on.  Straight
   forward mechanicals but access is difficult because the car
   is mid-engine, integral gear box and 4" ground clearance,
   good documentation, excellent parts availability.

(4) My '93 Range Rover was easy to work on except that all
   the parts are big and heavy :-).  Straight forward mechanicals
   but quite a few electrical and electronic systems, excellent
   documentation, excellent parts availability.

(5) My '59 Lancia Appia is quite easy to work on.  Straight
   forward mechanicals, if quirky, fair documentation (in 1959,
   it was assumed that a mechanic knew his trade so there
   are few tutorial entries), difficult parts availability made
   MUCH better by Internet based clubs.

(6) My '89 Mercedes 190e is relatively easy to work on.
   Straight forward mechanicals except for the the computer
   controlled systems like the nightmarish climate control,
   excellent documentation except for the nightmarish climate
   control (because it's old enough to not be a dealer-only
   service concern), excellent parts availability.

(7) My '74 BMW 2002tii was really easy to work on.  Straight
   forward mechanicals except for the mechanical fuel injection
   (which simply requires that the mechanic study his trade),
   good documentation, excellent parts availability.

(8) Wife's '99 GMC Suburban may be easy, may be difficult.
   That's her car.  I just remind her (over and over again)
   when it's time for oil and filter changes.

(9) My '89 BMW 325i was moderately easy to work on.  Straight
   forward mechanicals except for the computer controlled bits,
   good documentation, excellent parts availability.

(10) My '99 BMW M3 would have been very hard to work on
   if I had ever had to work on it.  Totally computer managed
   mechanicals (engine, gearbox, windows, etc.), poor
   (restricted) documentation, excellent parts availability at a
   seriously high premium.

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research