Re: Caliper rebuilding

To: robert@crypticmachinery.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Caliper rebuilding
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Jun 2001 07:41:04 EDT
In a message dated 06/02/2001 12:32:08 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
robert@crypticmachinery.com writes:

> It the piston was stuck from rust, etc, wouldn't that be a bit beyond home
> shop repair anyway?

- - - - - - - - - - - --

Not usually.  Rust makes it difficult to get the pistons out, but if you can
get them out, new pistons are cheap.  The seals seal against the pistons, so
new piston surfaces and new seals (usually) gives you a good caliper.
Stainless steel pistons are also available.

After you get the pistons out, inspect the inside of the caliper.  I used a
Dremel to clean mine up.  It there is severe pitting from rust in the grooves
where the seals sit, it is probably beyond home repair.  Fluid will leak
around the back of the seal.

Brake fluid doesn't promote rust, but water in the brake fluid does.  A rusty
piston but a clean caliper bore is probably from outside water hitting it
when you drive thru puddles or let the car sit for years.  Severe rust inside
the caliper bores could mean more rust inside the small holes, and some
blockage.  I wouldn't take a chance.  You can fill the caliper and try to
force brake fluid or alcohol thru it with air pressure to see if it gets thru
the holes to both sides.  (A messy job, ask me how I know!)

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport