Re: Stainless braided brake lines--OK for street?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stainless braided brake lines--OK for street?
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 15:28:16 EDT
In a message dated 07/06/01 12:05:35 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> I've noticed that the catalog listings for stainless steel braided brake
> hoses
> usually say "for off-road use only".  My question is, why?  Is it just
> because
> they are so different from the original equipment hoses that they have not
> been
> (US) government approved?  Or do they cause the brakes to exhibit behavior
> that
> is undesirable for street use (although I can't imagine what that would be)?

One issue is, as was suggested, DOT approval, which may be lacking.

Beware however - braided Teflon lines can fail. Every time they flex the
inner liner moves a small bit inside the steel braid. Eventually - and this
may take several years - they wear through and leak (I've had this happen on
one of the race cars).

So they are not a one time last-forever solution.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list