Re: Nashing of Teeth...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Nashing of Teeth...
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:46:41 EDT
In a message dated 14/06/01 8:47:27 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> >.... my brother is thinking about buying a nash metropolitan sans engine.
> as i recall, didn't they use a british engine in those? ....
>
> MG B-Series 1500 engine, similar to the engine used in the MGA but without
> the tach drive.  Okay, more like the engine used in the MG ZB Magnette.
> But the Met originally had very small intake valves and drove like a 40 HP
> Volkswagon.  Put a better head on it and get a nice power boost.  Or

I have always liked the concept of a 'sleeper' - a car that looks inoffensive
and stock but has hidden performance attributes.

One of my favourites was an Austin A40 Sports with a Chev smallblock, owned
by a master at a local private school (you don't have to be British to be
eccentric, but I often think it helps).

For that matter, my daily driver looks like a stock 88 Fiero, except for the
rear which lets the non-stock exhaust for the turbo show, but then only
another owner would likely know.

I have been involved in Riley 1.5 projects, and a Triumph Mayflower (pocket
Rolls Royce styling) with hot TR4 engine.

I did look at the Metropolitan seriously with a local aficionado once, with a
view to putting a hot MGB engine and disc brakes on it, but we sadly
concluded that the entire suspension was pathetic, at least on that platform.
For those that don't know, the Riley shares suspension with the Morris 1000,
and can be built up fairly well. The Nash shares design and some parts with
Austin A35, and when installed in a high centre of gravity platform it
presents some serious challenges!

We figured that the end result would be something you wouldn't want to drive
- sort of like adding a jetpack to a Trabant or something similar.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list