Wiring problems

To: "Mgs@autox.team.net" <Mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Wiring problems
From: James Schulte <schultejim@prodigy.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2001 13:32:06 -0700
I'm looking for someone that feels comfortable with trouble shooting MG
wiring problems that would be willing to spend next  Saturday afternoon
helping me sort out a problem in my 78B.  Pay would be your choice of
beer and a sandwich for lunch and a burger or 2 off the grill if the
time should run into the evening.
I installed a switch in my gear shift knob for the overdrive and
experienced smoke coming up the gator boot as well as smoke coming from
the dash area.  I think it's ignition related but feel very inadequate
in solving the problem.  I bought a used harmess as a back up.  So, I'll
be able to replace the current one if need be.  The ignition wire at a
junction, just past the steering cowl was wrapped with electrical tape
and was hot and melting at the time this occured.  I suspect this as
being one spot but also suspect there may be other areas as well.  I'd
like to tow this car to MG 2001 and drive it when I get out there but
don't want to tow a dead car 1200 miles for nothing.   If anyone can
help, I would appreciate it.
Jim
70B
78B