Re: Speedometer: Replace/Recalibrate?

To: "Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA 60)"
Subject: Re: Speedometer: Replace/Recalibrate?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2001 09:25:13 -0600
An inaccurate Smith's gauge? No way.  :)

First, you must determine if you have the correct speedometer for the
transmission. On the speedometer there are some numbers on the bottom,
usually something like 1280 or 1000, in the number. And we must know
whether the transmission is overdrive or not. That way, we can determine if
you have the right setup.

For more information on creatively calibrating your speedometer, check this
out:
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/arhodes

Nina provided this link last week, and I found and downloaded a nice little
guide on Smith's speedometers here.

David

At 11:18 AM 6/27/2001 +0200, Plant, Keith Contractor (NSAGAETA 60) wrote:
>You may remember my question about RPM's and how things didn't seem right.
>Well, I paced myself with a fellow American here in Italy.  When my speedo
>read approximately 30 miles per hour, he was reading 42. When my speedometer
>was reading approximately 10 miles per hour, his was reading 18.  I have a
>Smith's speedometer.  Is this in need of calibration (if so, how would one
>go about doing this?) or is this just a flat out replacement?  My tires are
>165 R14, so I don't believe it's the tires.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Keith Plant
>'69B

///