Re: Getting high

To: mg list <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Getting high
From: James Nazarian Jr <jamesnazarian@netzero.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2001 10:16:13 -0600
I get the impression that this is a short trip to high altitude,
In that case you will probably get by without messing with the mixture,  you'll
be running rich as you go up, but as long as the car is still going you should
be ok.  You may encounter some hard start problems running at high altitudes
on a sea level tune, but it won't hurt anything.  It is certainly more desirable
then running at sea-level on a high altitude tune.

james

On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 10:00:10AM -0600, James Nazarian Jr profoundly declared:
> As you get high you can actually use lower octane gas since the air is less
> dense.  I wouldn't sweat it though, the gas stations typically handle it for
> you.  if you use premium at sea-level and it is 91 octane, at 6000ft premium
> is only 89.  The regular will be 85.  It's gonna be slower though, there is
> nothing that you can do about that.  You will loose roughly 3% of your
> horsepower per 1000ft above sealevel, again, due to the lower density of the
> air.  Depending on how fast you make the change you may or may not notice
> right away, but be aware.  Also, you'll need to be leaning the HE@$ out of
> the jets.  If I remember I used somewhere between 1.25 and 1.75 flats per
> 1000ft.  Don't quote me on that, but it ought to be a good starting point.
> I think that I ended up going 8 or 10 flats leaner when I moved from sea-
> level to 6000ft.
>
> --
> James Nazarian Jr
> 71 MGB roadster
> 71 MGBGT-V8 in need of paint
> 01 Impreza 2.5RS
>
> A complex system that does not work is invariably found to have
>    evolved from a simpler system that worked just fine.
>
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 07:41:04AM -0400, Tab Julius profoundly declared:
> > If I wanted to get high in my '78 MGB (by driving it, not smoking in it :),
> > would there be any special considerations?
> >
> > Currently I'm at sea level.  Is it just as happy at 12,000 feet, or would a
> > higher octane gas give it more go?  There being less air to burn, I'm
> > assuming performance isn't as swift up high, or short of a racetrack, would
> > I not notice?  Anything else that would help?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > - Tab

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list