Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 5 Speed - Where Does It End?
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2001 12:54:25 -0400
Bill Spohn wrote:

> There is absolutely no advantage to the Sierra box in terms of gear
ratios -
> the MG CR gears set is better in fact for competition use. If you are
> shifting into 5th on a windy road, you aren't revving it high enough ;-)

Very correct.  The advantage in every aspect, except strength, goes to a
stock O/D gearbox.  Typically the O/D boxes have a better top ratio than the
5spds do.  I see no competition advantage to using a 5spd over an overdrive,
you can modify your overdrives to work in all gears... giving you eight
usable ratios, and 2nd with O/D actually comes in handy (1st not so much).

Uprated synchros, layshafts, gears, etc are all available from various
sources in the US and UK... so gearbox strength can be improved to modern
expectations.  Strength of the O/D can be vastly improved to, see archives
for my post a few months ago about the Medina Motorsports mods... the
hydraulic pressure can be increased to the point where O/D engagement is
instantaneous also - thus again destroying the advantage an actual
mechanically engaged gear would have.

Keep in mind that our LBCs were thoroughly thrashed in the 1950s and 1960s
on various European rallies and they all had overdrive... most of which all
operated in every forward gear.  The Healeys were pushing out 55% + more
power than they came in stock form, and the overdrive was able to cope with
that.  The TR4 rally cars as well... most of us are never going to compete
in the Liege - Rome - Liege so the life of the gearbox is seldom going to be
an issue in such the way our cars are driven.

Which has the best resale value?  Again I think advantage Lacock De
Normanville.  It will appeal to both the purists and the not so
conservative, while a modern gearbox conversion will cut out a future group
of potential buyers (or at least given them a bickering/bargaining point)

Current value?  Overdrives can be had cheaply if you search for them.  Two
weeks ago I picked up an entire Triumph TR6 gearbox, with A-type Overdrive
for $400.  Gears and syncrhos were nice, and my confidence in the seller is
high (owns a vintage race car shop)... and I'm sure that after a thorough
checking over that it will work when I throw it on my testbed.  If not, I
still purchased it for less than the typical core price of just the O/D
unit.

When I had my MGB, I remember checking around for a D-type OD (fairly rare)
and John Nye of British Motor Classics in Arizona had them at a good price
and John is a good guy.  He used to be on the list, so I hope he will speak
up for those interested.

Kai

.

///