Re: Front seal -- which way round?

To: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Front seal -- which way round?
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2001 16:58:17 -0500
At 01:57 PM 7/1/2001 -0700, Simon Matthews wrote:
>I have finally removed the timing cover from my A .... The goal is to
replace the timing cover with one from an early B. I have the new cover and
am looking at the seal -- which way does it go into the timing cover?

The seal is installed with the flat side forwards, and the garter spring
running in the oil (not on the dirty side).

And you absolutely must replace the original MGA oil thrower ring with the
MGB oil thrower, as the MGB timing cover has a shallower face in the area
of the oil thrower.  The MGA oil thrower, which is cup shape and extends
forward at the edges, would cut into the MGB timing cover when running.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
    http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg

///