And They're Back!

To: "MGs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: And They're Back!
From: "Phil Vanner" <phil@outtech.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2001 14:39:03 -0500
At MG2001 the sun is shining and it's 80 degrees.

The Endurance Rally folks rolled in yesterday morning, excepting the Ed and
Julie Polonius in the Magnette, who I didn't see as of 6:00 PM. I may have
missed him as he wasn't expecting to check in, but I was at a checkpoint for
the gimmick rally right at the main gate all day.

Eight cars finished. Bob Rushing and Mike Pentecost, organizers of the
Missouri Endurance Rally, had carb problems and limped in, removing and
cleaning the front carb needle and seat  every 50 miles.

It was an unbelievably close run.  The mileage spread in the endurance run
was less than 50 miles from position 1 to 8, despite very different routes
in some cases.

First place were Robert and Susan Milner in their V8-converted 67 BGT  -
744.9 miles
2nd was Ed Sass and Colleen Quinn in a 75 B, putting in a heroic
performance. They lost the alternator at the start, put in a fresh battery
and bought a spare, so they would have enough juice to fire the spark plugs
until they got to where they arranged for a spare alternator to meet them.
3rd were the Wackmans in a lovely red TD
4th was Mark "Lone Eagle" Michalak (senior) in a red MGA coupe driving solo.
5th Curt Bork and Pam Hansen, in their TD (MGA rear gears)
6th were Mark Michalak (junior) and Jon Glaeys in their B-engined MGA Coupe
7th were the brothers - William and Gary Hite in a silver TD - fresh from a
30-year resto
8th were Stefan and Rose Guttormson - 793 miles, top-down all the way.

All reported a good time was had.

Phil Vanner
Now, I have to get out of here and go to the fairgrounds.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list