Re: Originality (in competition)

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Originality (in competition)
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 08:31:27 +0930
So how do *I* go in the originality stakes as I have struggled to keep
in the 'standard' class (but have just put myself in 'modified' class
because the political pressure has become ridiculous).

My modifications are:

7/8" front sway bar
Nolathane bushings all-round
Metal King brake pads

(remainder of suspension and brake components are 'standard')

Aussie made stainless-steel header/extractors, muffler and exhaust.

The (now infamous) button clutch and electronic ignition.
Engine just .040 overbored and ported/polished 'standard' head
Aussie-made larger valves
American forged pistons

... alright... now it has Nissan wheels.

It would not pass muster at any Concours but I reckon for something you
are going to throw around a racetrack, these changes are nothing
dramatic yet still I have people telling me that this is no longer an MGB.

What would they prefer... to see my car broken in the infield or limping
around the track at the back of the field - sheesh, she is way back
amongst the 'racing' cars now.  You just don't put a car on the track
without making 'some' performance (and safety) modifications.

You tell me that any of the famous competition MGs from the past were
straight from the showroom floor - and I will call you a fibber!

I have more 'modifications' to make - I am trying to afford food as
well, so I am doing it... slowly.

Ericf
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia