timing facts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: timing facts
From: "Evangelos G. Makris" <egmakris@otenet.gr>
Date: Wed, 04 Jul 2001 16:35:08 +0300
Please tell me if the following is correct:

1. If your engine works OK as it is and you remove and re-install the
distributor 180 degrees out, it won't even start.

2. The action in the previous sentence is equivalent to swapping HT
sparkplug wires 1-4 and 2-3 without touching the distributor in the
first place.

3. When the woodruff key on the crankshaft is at 12 o'clock then pistons
#1 and #4 are at TDC but only one of them in its compression stroke.

4. If you don't set the dots on the crankshaft & camshaft gears facing
each other when replacing the timing chain the engine won't start at
all.

5. If the timing cover has the timing marks at the top (top viewing)
then the correct crankshaft pulley must *also* have its timing notch
"near" the top when the groove for the woodruff key is at the top (12
o'clock). In other words the timing notch and the key groove must be
just a few degrees "away" from each other on the pulley.

I may go nuts but in the end I'll find out what's wrong...

Evangelos
73 BGT, 66 Sprite, both engines working fine but their timing notches
way away...

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list