Re: 77MGB vs 78 MGB

To: "Mike Razor" <mrazor@mis.net>
Subject: Re: 77MGB vs 78 MGB
From: Tab Julius <tab@penworks.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Jul 2001 22:24:19 -0400
I really don't think so - as far as I know they're practically the
same.  There may be some minor thing relating to some accessory, like the
clock or something, but I don't think there's a major difference.  HOWEVER,
lest I speak too extemporaneously, I just checked my Clausager and it says:

"Rdst 447001, Sept '77 - start of 1978 model year.  Changes to all cars
unless otherwise specified:  MG octagon motif on steering wheel now in hot
foiled silver, (some changes to RHD cars that I'll omit), new washer jets
of plastic nipple type, two on all cars, with new pipe connections and
front shroud panel modified to suit, additional slot in seat rails, dual
carbon canisters."

Then there's various things added over the year including replacing Autumn
Leaf with Beige, making the tonneau cover standard, improved material for
carburettor heat shield, some changes to brakes, etc., nothing that sounds
too major.  Unfortunately, you'll have to give up the plastic nipples on
the '78.  Could be an improvement, who knows? :)

If the '77 is in great shape, good.  Can you swap the transmissions so you
can keep the OD and sell the '78 with no OD?  Check with others on the
list, but they should be swappable.

- Tab

At 10:15 PM 7/7/01 -0400, Mike Razor wrote:
>Thanks!  I have a 78 with O/D that I have been working on and I love
>driving it, but it needs body work and is brown, which my really
>hates.  To change the color and fix the body work is going to cost as
>much as I gave for the car.  I have found a 77 that seems to be in
>better shape bodywise, is blue with a tan interior, which my wife
>really likes, but no overdrive.  I have a guy who wants to buy my 78,
>but I want to make sure there are no surprises with the 77s.
>MIKE R

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list