mgb speakers

To: The MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: mgb speakers
From: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2001 20:23:05 -0400
I have a 71 roadster that is currently stripped to the shell, and I'd like
plan for speakers before installing the interior.  Since I got the car as a
basket case, I have no idea where speakers would go!  Can someone describe
how they put stereo speakers into their car, or at least where?  Size and
brand might help, too.

I was in a similar position when I assembled my MGB and I was not willing to

cut huge holes in either the door panels or the rear firewall. What I ended
up
doing was :

- get a piece of 1/4 plywood and cut it to the exact shape of the rear fire
wall.
- cut the appropriate holes for the speakers making sure that they are no
more
than ~ 3inches deep.
- mount the speakers and use either vinyl or carpet to cover the plywood.
- install the plywood firewall just in front of the rear firewall. It will
rest on the lip just behind the battery boxes and tucks in behind the
top lip where the chrome piece is, surrounding the top of the rear cockpit
area.
Looks like factory job, allows the use of the convertible top and
no need to cut holes in the rear firewall. I uses 5" round speakers
(SONY - 75W) but you should have enough room for bigger speakers
as long as they aren't too deep.

Gerry

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list