Re: Thoughts on SiliconE

To: "Harold Pulcher - Killer Computing" <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
Subject: Re: Thoughts on SiliconE
From: "Valerie Stabenow" <hlub34a@aeroinc.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2001 07:47:42 -0500
You are going to get a ton of mail back on this subject... it's always
a hot one.

Personally, I have had good luck with silicone. It was put in after
replacing almost all the brake components on my 69 E about 11 years
ago. The only item that was not replaced was the master/booster set.
The system was flushed with denatured alcohol and then the silicone
was put in.

The downside: some have said that silicone crystalizes with in-line
brake switches, due to the normal electrical pulses. Some have said it
interacts badly with brass brake components. I have had none of these
problems. The demise of my brake booster was age and use (a 30+ year
old part.) I am somewhat embarrassed to say that in the 10 years that
the silicone had been in the system, I had not maintenance-bled the
brakes. When I did the bleeding as part of the MC/booster job, it was
just as clean and clear as the new stuff.

Some will also say it fades under extreme heat. Well, there are now
racing versions available.

It is more expensive, but you don't have the paint destruction to
worry about (though I still wouldn't get any hydraulic fluid near any
painted surfaces); it appears to hold its integrity longer than the
standard stuff.

When my clutch slave failed, that system was flushed and silicone was
put in there too.

I have not converted any of the other cars, simply because none of
them have needed a complete brake replacement like the E did.

BTW, your problem may only be a bad wheel cylinder. I would look
inside the drum and see if there is fluid leaking there.

Valerie Stabenow,1962 mga,1967 tr4a, 1969 xk-e, 1973 tr6, 1981
corvette

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list