Re: Weak synchros?

To: Justin Lehrer <justinl8@yahoo.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Weak synchros?
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:34:58 -0600
The 67 and earlier transmissions do not have the all-synchro feature of
newer transmissions. That means you cannot shift into first gear without
grinding unless the car is stopped or at a near stop. Downshifting to
second gear works best when double clutching. Otherwise, shifting is
normal. So my guess to your query is that the transmission is probably fine
if it performs as above. Grinding going in/out of third or forth gear or
popping out of gears would however indicate problems.

David
67 BGT
72 B under construction

At 08:15 AM 7/23/2001 -0700, Justin Lehrer wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I was shopping for another 'b yesterday and I looked at a '67 that seemed
>to be in really nice shape.  The one issue was weak synchros--you have to
>double clutch, or shift slowly, otherwise the gears grind.  Can anyone
>shed some light on this issue for me, as I have little experience with
>transmissions?  Does a problem such as this usually require a new tranny,
>or is there sometimes an easier fix?  Is it a symptom of a larger
>problem?  Anything else I should check out related to that?
>
>thanks,
>
>Justin Lehrer
>Redwood City, CA
>justinl8@yahoo.com