Re: Sunday drive + traffic + inattentive driver = CRUNCH

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Sunday drive + traffic + inattentive driver = CRUNCH
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2001 11:40:53 -0700
on 7/23/01 10:59 AM, Wil Boucher at william@greenmgb.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Driving in downtown Vancouver, BC, yesterday afternoon. Stopped in traffic.
> The driver behind me wasn't paying attention and SLAM. Rear-Ended. No
> injuries, (I have a bit of a crick in my lower back, but I think that was
> more because of how I jumped hard on the brakes to keep from being pushed
> into the car in front of me than the impact...)
>
> Got a couple of questions...
>
> The back bumper is twisted downward about 45 degrees in the middle, but
> straight on the ends, repair or replace?

It's toast. Straightening and rechroming can be done on an exchange basis
(if you can find one in exchange), but the adjuster should figure on a new
one.

> The trunk lid is a little bowed, the body under the trunk lid has some acute
> dents from the over-riders, and the valence under the bumper is twisted...
> repair or replace?

If the reinforcing inner ribs on the lid show a sharp crease where it's
bowed, it's a goner. Otherwise, it's probably OK. As for the rest, the body
man will have to decide.

> The exhaust system was pushed forward and broke loose of all it's mounts
> along the bottom of the car, should I be looking around the manifold for
> damage from this?

That would be a good idea. The headpipe could be cracked or tweaked, and/or
the exhaust manifold itself, or at least the headpipe-to-manifold studs. It
may be hard to determine damage, if any, without some dissasembly. Mention
the possibility to the adjuster.

> I think my rear axle (or something near it) is leaking oil...?

Hard to figure that as a result of the accident (it could have been doing so
for some time, however). More likely the gas tank is leaking. You probably
want to confirm this ASAP.

> Could this impact damage the wire wheels/hubs in non-obvious ways?

Can't really see how.

> Is there any thing I should be looking for that isn't apparent?

You might look where the bumper brackets bolt to the shell. And take
everything out of the boot to see if the floor is tweaked. Check the gas
filler neck seal.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149