RE: Virus

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Virus
From: "Larry Hoy" <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 01:27:58 -0600
I wouldn't normally get involved in this, but Martin you have confused
me.  I must say that's easy to do when people start talking computers.
You say:

>All I claimed is that along with not opening attachments from unknown
>sources you can further reduce your chances of getting infected by a
>computer virus by not using MS mail clients. If anyone wants to open
>unknown attachments with MS Outlook I say go for it.

Perhaps you can tell me why using MS mail clients would increase my
chances of getting a virus?  Don't you have to open an executable file
to get a virus?  Why would using a different email client make opening
an attached executable file safer?

Is the danger because the target of the worm/virus is only a MS product?
Might that be because of the popularity of the MS applications?

Much like an arsonist is more likely to want to watch a high rise
building burn rather than an out house; the virus creator finds no
fascination watching an unpopular email client "burning" when he can
watch the big guy burn...

If by some strange twist of fate the unpopular email client would become
the big guy, wouldn't it then be the favorite target?  Or perhaps you're
saying there is no way for the creator of a worm/virus can attack the
other products?

Maybe you can shed some light on my ignorance in this area?

Thanks in advance.

Larry Hoy

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list