Re: Distributor Drive & Pinch Bolt

To: "Tyson Sherman" <mts3@ra.msstate.edu>,
Subject: Re: Distributor Drive & Pinch Bolt
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2001 19:08:23 +0100
IMHO you need to remove the distributor and clamp and examine both
carefully.  It is very easy to overtighten the clamp which damages the
shoulder on the distrbutor, which means it keeps jumping out.  In that case
the distributor body is scrap.  On my MGB the clamp has oval holes in it,
which means that when resetting the timing from scratch I can position that
centrally on the block bolts, then with a slack clamp bolt set the timing
approximately, then retighten the clamp bolt *carefully*.  Thereafter any
small adjustments to timing can be done by slackening the clamp to block
bolts and twisting the clamp plate and distributor as a unit with the
ovality of the holes.  I realise this is a lot easier to do on a 45D than a
25D, and possibly easier still than a Midget.  But it avoids therisk of
damaging the distributor body through overtightening.

PaulH.