Re: Make sure your spare has air!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Make sure your spare has air!
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 14:13:42 +0930
Tab Julius wrote:

> On top of that, it doesn't hurt to carry a little coolant and/or generic
> liquid with you either.  We overheated, and fortunately another B came by
> (not a lister, alas) that had coolant, and so I was able to limp to the
> nearest station.   Carry it either for yourself, or to help another.

Hmmm, maybe it is time to compile that "things you should always carry
with you" list again.

I think many of us can go for ages without touching our spare tyre, so
these are often a little 'unloved' if we finally need them, but, and
this is not a direct jab, but I find it strange that any of us in these
little old cars would not carry spare coolant or oil or a fan belt, etc.

Of course, some on this list go over the top and carry a mini spare
parts store, but I guess THEY will never need a flat tow home :-)

And then there is also the jerry can for when you are fooled (again) by
that darn fuel guage!  Or as, in my case, when it gave me the chance to
meet and assist a pair of lovely girls pulled over by the side of a
major road in their GT with an empty petrol tank.  The bonnet/hood was
up but no-one was stopping.  They were certainly pleasantly surprised
when another MG stopped to assist.

Oh yeah, I do the dangerous thing and carry my 10 litre jerry can full
of AVGAS, but this is mainly because my little engine can't stand fuel
below 100 octane (which means I can also mix it with lower octane fuel
from the pump if necessary).

My other personal experience-gathered items (which take up no room)
include; coolant; oil; basic tools; cable ties; race tape; an ignition
lead or two; spark plugs; fan belt; radiator hose (or is that what the
race tape is for); a few feet of fuel line; radiator cap; emergency fuel
filler cap, etc. etc. Not to mention my 'race bag' that contains wet
weather gear, spare socks and underwear :-)  but you don't want to know
about that .

In my case, there are more, but they are generally all little items that
stow neatly in the side wells of the boot. In Barney's case, I think his
boot is full of chewing gum.

So... anyone want to contribute to a list of little essential, emergency
spares that can easily fit in the boot of an MG?  (or maybe we just
search the archive :-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII
Adelaide, South Australia