Re: I've got a bad feeling

To: Solentmg@aol.com
Subject: Re: I've got a bad feeling
From: R C Engelhardt <hardt@sonic.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2001 16:23:46 -0700
I had these same symptoms right before my crank broke. I kept meaning to
"renew" the bearings, just never got around to it. It never really
sounded all that bad. I've been told that the bearings should be
replaced every 30k miles so you aren't that far off at 22k plus the
racing.

Ron Engelhardt
58 MGA

Larry Colen wrote:

> I've got about 24,000 miles on the motor for my MGB, but about 1800 of
> those are on racetracks, which may accelerate the wear a little bit.
> I've noticed that the oil pressure that used to be really solid (75+)
> when the motor was fresh has dropped way down to about 35 when cruising
> and relatively cool, down as low as 12 when hot and idling.
>
> Sometimes under load, she seems to be making a deep thunking noise
> that is engine speed dependent, and she seems to get hot and lose
> power on protracted up hill stretches like driving over hwy 17.
>
> I have noticed that fresh oil seems to help. At the track the
> temperature guage would nearly max out which is why yesterday I
> managed to "Tom Sawyer" Max (thanks Max!) into installing my new
> radiator while I did other things to get the car back on the road
> after it's paintjob.
>
> Is there anything besides bearings that this is likely to be caused
> by? The wear seems rather premature to me, but then I know that a lot
> of racers will change bearing after only a few hundred miles of
> driving, rather than 1,800 miles of track and 22,000 miles of street.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list