RE: Apple Hydraulics

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Apple Hydraulics
From: &mem;&resh;&tet;&yod;&fnun; &resh;&vav;ℷ&vav;&bet;&yod;&fnun;
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 09:38:12 +0200
> I dont understand the reluctance of people to write personal
> opinion of brand
> names 'on list'.  Is it a rule of the list that I'm missing
> or is it the
> fear of litigation that pervades America or is it some other reason?

I think it has something to do with wanting the list to be a 'neutral'
source of information rather than a 'commercial' one.  Just as there are
listers unwilling to badmouth a supplier because of an isolated bad
experience, there are also listers (sometimes the same ones, sometimes not)
who are reluctant to praise specific suppliers for fear of sounding like
commercials rather than being objective.
There is also some fear of 'giving a bum steer' (yup, I grew up in Texas) to
other listers, thus all the trailers of YMMV, no personal interest, blah
blah blah, especially in regards to that "pristine" MG just duscovered in a
friend's/neighbor's/relative's barn in the country.  I would assume that
this has more to do with 'good-natured-ness' than with any fear of
litigation.
Personally, I see no problem with mentioning specific experiences with
parts/service from various producers/vendors/shops, but you have to be
carefull when you start moving from relating a specific experience to giving
broad generalizations about the company involved.
Maybe we could hear from one of those who are bothered by brand names and
takes pains to avoid them?
RMartin
Tel Aviv

///