Re: AutoX - New Boy

To: emccarroll@mco.edu, Mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: AutoX - New Boy
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 11:54:19 EDT
In a message dated 8/23/01 11:11:34 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
emccarroll@mco.edu writes:

> Thank for your responses.   I received a number of suggestions for
> increasing the tire pressures to minimize rollover.    The car I have
> weighs no more than 1150 -1200 lbs.    Wheels are 13".    Tires are older
> Pheonix Stahlflex.   How much air pressure should I have?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Since this is your first autox, just add maybe 5 lbs all 'round.  That will
keep you safe.  You can use white shoe polish at four points around the tire
sidewall, from the actual tread, up the sidewall about an inch or two.  After
the first run, see if any of the sidewall mark is worn off.  If so, add some
more pressure.

Autoxers fiddle with tire pressure for years trying to figure it out.  Don't
expect to be an expert the first time!  Also, talk to other people who have
similar cars.  Rear wheel drive Miatas will be plentiful.  Ask what they
think you should use for pressure.  It is going to change as the tires heat
up, and will vary, depending on how much time there is between runs, what the
weather is, etc.  Lotsa variables.

Once again, don't expect to be perfect.  Your main objective the first time
out is to beat somebody else in your class...ANYBODY else...not to win
fastest time of the day.

For more info on autox for novices, go to our web site:  www.autox4u.com.
Click on the NOVICE link and READ the novice manual.  It is great advice.
Guaranteed or your money back.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget