Re: MGA engine Transplant

To: yd3@nvc.net
Subject: Re: MGA engine Transplant
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 23:01:18 EDT
In a message dated 8/29/01 7:06:18 PM Pacific Daylight Time, yd3@nvc.net
writes:

> The car is a 1500 so I thought the power would be about the
> same.  The replacement engine came from a low mileage wreck and
> all of the emission stuff is gone as is the carb.  Since the
> engine has been sitting for 20 years and parts are missing, I
> suggested that they try to back date the engine to about 1967.
> This is possible isn't it?  I told them of the difficulties with
> the exhaust manifold, water pump, starter, and gear shift
> remote.  I don't have a B, but from what I've read these are all
> problems in fitting the 18V engine to an MGA.

Blake:
The MGA 1500 had 72 bhp, the single carb Bs had only 8:1 compression and 65
bhp.

When I say they were Marina engines, it is because they were. Single timing
chain single carb generic engines with not one iota of sporting character.
Total piece of crap, IMHO.

Toss the pistons, cam, timing gears and chain, and single valve springs and
replace them with early parts and install twin carbs and early exhaust, and
it is true that you get back to the early spec. But why bother when you can
start with an early engine for a couple of hundred bucks and go from there?

I do not know offhand if there is a clearance problem with the all synch box
in the MGA as there is in early B's, but I suspect nothing that some
judicious 'tapping' with a suitably sized hammer wouldn't remedy.

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list