Tranny oil level, 75 B

Subject: Tranny oil level, 75 B
From: "Mark Dawson" <torchbone@bright.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 21:04:32 -0400
Ok, this one is bugging me, and I can't find an answer in the archives.

Once upon a time (about one year, 7000 miles ago) I checked the fluid level
in the transmission. To the best of my recollection I ran the front wheels
up on ramps and jacked the rear of the car up as level as I could get it. I
then squirted oil in with a puny 1-oz squirter (I don't recommend that
method: get a real pump or run a hose from the engine compartment!)

Now, as a good little MG owner, I have checked this level a few times since,
by elevating the car as I did the first time. In ALL THREE instances, oil
flows out of the transmission fill hole.

First of all, if it was level with the bottom of the hole (by definition),
and the car is elevated in the same manner (same ramps, same jackstands),
then how is this happening? And I know I didn't put too much in to start
with: that little oilcan practically maimed my fingers - I think I put in
over a quart, one little squirt at a time.

Does oil or water or something get into the transmission from somewhere
else? Could it if there was something wrong? To the best of my knowledge
there isn't. Engine oil consumption hasn't been very high.

Thanks for any insight,
-Mark
- Topless Smurf ('75 MGB):
http://www.bones.org/torch/photos/mgb/mark_mgb_1.html
Mark Dawson
Manager
The Roundtown Cafi      http://www.roundtowncafe.com
Personal Web Page       http://www.bones.org/torch/

        234 N. Court St., Circleville, Ohio, 43113
                   740-474-8666

[demime 0.97c removed an attachment of type application/ms-tnef which had a
name of winmail.dat]

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list