Fw: Low pressure after rebuild

To: "MG List" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Fw: Low pressure after rebuild
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2001 08:10:25 -0700
Thanks Maynard for the info. I am not sure that this is required, since if
there is oil pressure, there is always an oil film between the valve and its
"seat", which helps improve the seal. Also it seems like as long as there is
sufficient spring pressure, it will seat with time.

Neither Haynes nor Bentley mention this process, but they do stress making
sure that the cup appears in good shape and the spring is 3" long. Only in
Burgesses "How to Power Tune MGB 4 cylinder engines" did a find a reference
to lapping the valve, to improve pressure at idle.

What do the other list gurus think? Does the lapping actually help?

Tim Economu
1969 MGBGT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list