Voting, etc

To: justbrits@home.com
Subject: Voting, etc
From: "Simon Matthews" <simon_atwork@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 22:43:04 +0000
Ed,

While I agree with you that people should vote, I think there are many
misconceptions in your thinking.

1. Voting is a freedom that citizens have. So is the right to abstain.
Incidentally Australia requires citizens to vote (or at least, to go to
their polling station).

2. It takes at least 10 years from the time one arrives legally in the USA
on a temporary visa (H1, L1, etc) to the time one can become a citizen (5
years to go from H1 or L1 to Green Card, 5 years from Green Card to
citizen). During this time, many non-citizens decide to move home.

3. Perhaps one might ask why citizens (mostly born in America) vote in such
small numbers.

4. America is a country of immigrants. It has benefitted strongly from
various waves of immigration and continues to do so. Of course some of the
immigrants were not willing immigrants (Britain used America as a penal
colony).

Your xenophobia is neither wanted or beneficial.