Wiring Question

To: "MG" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wiring Question
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 11:50:03 -0500
Trying this again, it didn't seem to go this morning.

Working on my 1966 MG 1100 last night I saw a wire in the engine bay with
what appeared to be burned insulation.  Upon closer inspection, there are 2
wires that appear to have gotten hot and burned the insulation off them.
Both wires are black and had white cloth covers on them.  No problem I say,
I'll just see where they go and replace them before I put a battery in the
car.  I look at the schematic in the Chilton's manual (the MG 1100 schematic
is missing from my workshop manual) and don't see a black that appears to
run through the engine bay, they all just connect to ground points.  I think
they may go to the lights, but I've got to disassemble the wiring harness
some to be sure, and ran out of time last night.

Finally my question, this car is older than most I've owned, does the wire
color code go by the wire or the cloth outer covering?   If by the wire
these are black wires in the ground circuit.  It by the outer covering they
are white wires.

As I was working I had more questions, but I seem to be having a "senior
moment" and can't remember them right now.

Thanks for all your help,

Ken

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list