Re: New Radiator Advice Sought

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: New Radiator Advice Sought
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2001 12:41:09 -0500
At 09:00 PM 9/30/01 -0600, Phil Bates wrote:
>Today was the day.  I hit the brakes too hard, and my fan hit the
>radiator.  Hence, I will be buying a new one.  The car is a 1958 MGA ....

Of course it ain't supposed to do that, so do spend a few bucks to replace
two engine mounts (easy enough) and one gearbox mount (the tricky bit)
before you install a new radiator.  Beware that you will probably have to
remove both engine and gearbox from the car to replace the rear mount.

>Should I replace this with a new MGA radiator, or an MGB radiator.  The
>car did not have an overheating problem with what was in it.

You can have the existing unit re-cored (if you're cheap like me).  Or you
can pick up a used MGA radiator and have that recored and maybe end up with
a better radiator than if you bought a new original type.  If you're about
to pay a substantial sum for such a repair anyway, this may be the time to
consider a little extra cash to return it to original spec for the
mounting.  Meanwhile, you will likely find some interresting reading about
MGA cooling problems (and solutions) here:
     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/cooling/cool_1.htm

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude
     http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg