Re: Heat Shield and Asbestos...

To: "Mark and kathy LaPierre" <mgtrcars@galaxyinternet.net>,
Subject: Re: Heat Shield and Asbestos...
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 09:25:11 -0500
My 2 cents?  I carefully removed my heat shield, outside while
wearing gloves and a face mask.  (This is great because it always
scares the neighbors!) I saturated it (the heat shield, not the
neighbors) with brake cleaner (as a degreases), again working
outside and still protected.  Once dry, I painted it heavily (multiple
coats) with white exhaust manifold paint.  After the paint cured I
reinstalled the shield on the car.  The offending substance is safely
sealed within a thick paint layer -- until someone disturbs it...

Rick

> How did they taste?   Sorry  Dan I must have missed your previous mail.
> Which leads me to  my next question.   Why exactly did you cook them on
your
> grille?
>
> >From the info. that I have on file all the white pads surrounding the
engine
> bay contain asbestos and should be handled accordingly.  Paint it,
> encapsulate it, wet it down and wear some type of good resperator before
> disturbing it. Do it outside if possible.
> Maybe using a rust neutralizer around it instead of sanding would be
another
> option that wouldn't disturb it as much.
>
> And then there are some that say its not such a big deal.     Its your
> health, your in the drivers seat.      Good Luck,   Mark

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///