Re: MG SUV and a short rant!

To: ptegler@gouldfo.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: MG SUV and a short rant!
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:35:50 EDT
In a message dated 10/4/01 1:32:50 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
ptegler@gouldfo.com writes:

> What bugs me about SUV's (I still have my 1989
> Pathfinder with well over 100K miles in excellent shape)
> is all these 'yuppie' buyers of today, that think they are safer in
> them than other vehicles. WISE UP PEOPLE!  SUV's, like
> pickups, are NOT required to pass the same safety
> requirements as passenger cars.
>
> Anyone who drives an LBC knows what I'm referring to when
> I say a big vehicle 'isolates' the driver from the road, which only

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not only that, but all that extra weight makes handling a nightmare.  4WD in
snow gets you moving nicely, but you really can't stop or turn at all.  They
should give lessons when you buy one.

I stole this explanation of Polar Moment of Inertia from a web site:
Rather than some scientific explanation, letbs look at an example that
illustrates the concept. Picture your car as a set of barbells with 50 pounds
of weights at each end. Picture trying to quickly turn and stop the bar bell
while holding it. Because of momentum, itbs hard to turn, and hard to stop
turning once it starts. Now, move the weights in close to the center of the
bar and try it again. The bar turns, and stops turning, much more easily
because the weights have less distance to travel. Reduced polar moment of
inertia makes a car feel like it "wants" to change direction. The car feels
better and the suspension is easier to tune.

Now think of how this applies to a Ford Expedition.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport