Re: Shocks on MGA

To: MGALUVR@aol.com
Subject: Re: Shocks on MGA
From: David Littlefield <dmeadow@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2001 08:52:16 -0500
Yes, you can refill them on the car.  The owner's manual, available from
Moss, will tell you how.  You'll have to take the front wheel off and a
syringe is handy for getting fluid into the plug at the top of the shock.

However, if you've run them dry for any length of time, and they are
leaking anyway, you are probably better off getting them rebuilt.

DO NOT send them to Apple Hydraulics for rebuild.  I've got a front pair
that I had Apple "rebuild" and BOTH of them are leaking with less than
1000 miles on them.

Contact Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts and ship them to him for
rebuilding (or as cores in exchange for rebuilt units).  I found out
about Peter after I bought the MGA shocks.  He is on the Spridgets list
and has raced Midgets, etc., in the past.  He rebuilt the shocks on my
racing Midget, which has seen some hard track miles without the sign of a
leak.  The MGA shocks are going off to him when I get a chance.

A local club member visited Peter's shop in Madison, WI, recently and
came away very impressed with his methods.  Peter had a couple of Apple
Hydraulic "rebuilt" shocks on hand, which demonstrated what a lousy job
Apple does (can you say: "pack in a bunch of garden hose washers and
repaint it?").

Peter also tends to be a bit less expensive than Apple, depending on the
type of shock, and is very attentive to his customers.

You can find him at http://www.mailbag.com/users/nosimport/

Good luck!

David Littlefield
'62 MGA MkII