winter storage

To: <bleckstein@mail.monmouth.com>
Subject: winter storage
From: "Tim Economu" <economu@whidbey.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2001 21:25:11 -0700
At 05:25 PM 10/05/2001 -0300, Eugene Balinski wrote:
>    Watch the trickle charge on the battery.  You can  boil off all
>of the electrolyte if you are not careful.

Mike wrote:
"I have had wonderful success with a Sears battery monitor. They were about
$25 and I plug them into a timer so that they are on for 3 hours a day.
They monitor the voltage and charge 1 amp only when needed. I use the timer
because I do not like leaving any devise on for months all the time. Four
MGs which always have strong batteries for the last three years. "

                                                         There is a
>school of thought that says to just remove the battery and
>keep it in a warm dry (off of cement floors) place.

The simplest and IMHO best way is to just disconnect the battery. Forget
trickle charging...not necessary. Lead acid batteries only self discharge a
few percent per month, so that is only 25% after six months. If you must,
just charge the battery up before the first use. Simple fast and effective.
But watch out for the pumpkin seeds left by the chipmunks!!

By the way my dad who lives in Fairbanks does this trick to all his machines
(RV. Army jeep, tractor, grader) and they all come thru the Alaskan winters
just fine. The bonus is that the batteries last a long time when they are
not connected to anything.

Tim Economu
1969 MGBGT

///