Re: Stuck Starter

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Stuck Starter
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2001 10:40:38 -0700
Sounds familiar -- this used to be standard operating procedure on my 66B.
But in my case, it was a harbinger of future problems. My considered
suggestion, should this continue to occur, is to remove the starter motor
and carefully inspect the teeth on the pinion gear. Then, from beneath the
car (observing all safety precautions), look through the access hole in the
bell housing (where the pinion engages), and have someone turn the motor
slowly by hand (with a wrench on the crank pulley nut) for one complete
rotation so that you can observe the condition of the teeth on the flywheel
ring gear.

Even a few damaged teeth on the flywheel can quickly chew up the teeth on
the pinion, causing it to stick, or to refuse to engage, and once started,
it only gets worse. The problem is that the engine will tend to come to rest
in one of two positions, and thus the ring gear will get all its wear in two
small locations. The relatively violent engagement of the Mk.I starter
contributes to the problem.

If the ring gear is damaged, your only recourse is to pull the engine to
replace it. The only redeeming factor is that this gives you an opportunity
to renew perishable items such as the engine rear seal, clutch components,
and engine and transmission mounts.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149