Somone please explain the timing light

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Somone please explain the timing light
From: "Harold Pulcher" <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 10:38:43 -0500
I have been investigating as to why my 80 don't run worth a darn, so I
decided to check the timing and slapped on the timing light.

Here is what I noticed:

When the engine is running steady, I get a consistant flash.  The timing
mark is way off though, but that will be a different piece of mail

When the engine starts to sputter, I get a very inconsistant flash.

Does this mean that the timing light is an indication of the spark plug
sparking?

I didn't think that was the case as the clip should detect the high voltage
pulse and fire the light.

One more question: Should the ignition coil ever be HOT?  Not just warm but
HOT enough that it would probably burn you if you touched for just a few
seconds.

Also any insight as to where I need to be looking would also be helpful.

Thanks,
Harold

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list