Re: Week four-starting saga

To: "Montgomery Morris" <mmorris@nemr.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Week four-starting saga
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2001 20:46:47 +0100
----- Original Message -----
From: Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 16, 2001 3:31 AM
Subject: Week four-starting saga

> A very big thank you to all who are offering direction in this mystery.
> I've taken some voltage readings that I need help interpreting (all with
> ignition switch on). The symptoms and what I've tried so far are listed
below.
> Battery=10V
> Ignition relay= all wires except black=10V
> Fuse 5,6,7,8,=10V

Flat battery - if this is just with the ignition on and not cranking.
Double-check on the battery posts (not the connectors) to make sure it isn't
bad connectors.  Should be 12v.

> Starter relay=0V

Which terminal?  It has four and two (black and white/red) do show 0v except
during cranking, the other two (brown and white/brown) should show 12v.

> -terminal on coil=one volt???

Should really be close to 0v.  1v indicates possible bad connection to
ground through the wiring and points.

> +terminal on coil=6V

OK, shows a ballast resistor is in circuit, I assume you have a RB car and a
6v coil - these measure about 1.5 ohms as opposed to 3 ohms for a 12v coil.

> 10V at three-way connector between white, white/brown, and white wires on
> right side under hood.

All ignition-powered wires, should be 12v with ignition on as before.

> 10V at connection between 4 brown wires on right side under hood.

Should be 12v at all times except cranking when it will drop to 10v or so
according to the condition of the battery.

Note that when running and charging 12v becomes 14v.

> When I use a jumper wire on ignition relay between white/brown wire and
> brown wire (with these wires still connected to relay) I get no reaction.

The white/brown feeds 12v down from the starter relay to the solenoid to
operate it, which is what connecting a brown to it should do.  If it doesn't
then do the same test on the terminal the white/brown connects to on the
solenoid.  If the starter bursts into life the wiring/connectors are bad.
If it doesn't the solenoid is bad.  Bear in mind that if you have an
ignition relay Haynes shows this as having a white/brown to the fuse-box and
coil ballast and the wire between starter relay and solenoid is brown/white,
just to be confusing.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list