starting saga....continued

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: starting saga....continued
From: Montgomery Morris <mmorris@nemr.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2001 23:09:14 -0800
Well it's week 6 of the starting saga. I had finally given up and towed the
79B to the mechanic. He spent several days checking things out, mostly with
a multimeter and decided it has to be the electronic ignition gone bad
(reading the manuals, I could find no way to actually test to see if the
electronic ignition was bad). This was the first, original diagnosis from
some of you listers and I had initially ordered a Crane x700, but not
installed it pending checking out other possibilities. I had previously
replaced the ignition switch, coil, ballast, starter and ignition relays,
and cleaned all connections that I could find. The mechanic put in the
electronic ignition and the car started (it had previously only fired just
when you turned the key on and just when you released it). He called and I
started to drive it home. It ran fine for a mile, then sputtered and died
again. I've just had it trailered back to my garage to continue diagnosis.
I just thought I'd let all of you know what happened at the "expert's" place.
Monte 79B

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///