Re: untitled

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: untitled
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 12:10:07 -0800
on 10/30/01 10:05 AM, DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com at
DOUGLAS_RUSSELL@nyc.yr.com wrote:

> Now for some LBC stuff -
>
> My 69 B seems to be suffering from a frozen clutch.  After ignoring my
> precious B for a good six months, the clutch pedal hangs freely -
> absolutely no resistance at all.  Do I have the diagnosis correct - frozen
> clutch?  If so, what is the remedy?

No, the clutch would freeze closed, not open (unless you jammed the pedal
down with a stick when you put it in storage) . Sounds like a complete
absence of fluid to me, possibly coupled with a broken/missing pedal return
spring (possibly missing for some time). Looks like a master/slave rebuild
in your future.

> My 69C, which I have not been ignoring - had it out last weekend - seems to
> have a problem getting the clutch engaged.  When I depress on the clutch,
> it will slip into gear but then when I release the pedal it does not grab
> and the pedal does not seem to rise.  Is this the slave hose collapsing and
> giving up the ghost?  Yes, there if fluid in there.

Failure to engage is not a usually a symptom of hydraulic problems (sounds
like your mental model of this whole system is backwards, based on the two
questions). It sounds more like the clutch disc is worn out, or there is a
problem with the clutch diaphragm spring and/or throwout bearing, or oil on
the clutch from an internal leak (rear main seal). I suppose an internally
collapsed hose could do something like that, but this problem is more
commonly encountered with front brake hoses, where piston return is
dependent on the relatively wimpy forces of piston seals and runout, not on
clutches where a massive diaphragm spring is applying the return pressure.

Does the pedal pump up? Is there noticeable oil/fluid on the bottom of the
bell housing?

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149