Re: Garage Heat(er)...

To: d_dibiase@yahoo.com
Subject: Re: Garage Heat(er)...
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 23:29:05 EST
Dan,
Unless its properly vented I'd try to stay away from a propane outdoors type
heater like the kind they have at outdoor restaurants. But I have seen a some
cool, make that hot, Ben Franklin type of firebox heaters that really did a
great job of heating up a work area of semi outdoors, or shed type of
environment. If you can use a torch or can weld its usually a pretty simple
thing to make. All you need is enough stove pipe to go from the heater
firebox to outside, some sort of spark arrester for the top of stove pipe a
stove pipe connector, and damper unit. And for the heater box itself you can
use any kind of metal container, 55 gal. drum or smaller drum, a metal box,
anything that is basically a thick enough gauge of metal to not burn through
or get all distorted by heat. Then make a base or legs to support the
firebox, cut out an opening for your door to keep sparks in and be able to
adjust air intake. On the far side place your stove pipe connector looks like
a small length of stove pipe mounted on a flat plate or piece of sheet metal
about 8"or 9" square.You just cut a hole in the firebox for your flue or
smoke pipe to exit then heat the pipe towards the outdoors. I've seen one of
these keep a garage warm all winter. The only precaution should be gas or
flammable materials should be kept as far away as possible, rags that have
been used with gas or other volatile solutions should always be kept in a
closed metal box or cabinet. If you exercise a fair amount of caution you
will be fine. Just remember there are basic rules that must be adhered to.
Have Fun Keeping warm. And remember to always wear lots of thermal or winter
type clothes. Wish you were here, Albert Escalante (1978 MGB) in warm sunny
California land of the earthquakes

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///