Re: Engine problems

To: geoffwinter@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: Engine problems
From: Aeseeyou@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Nov 2001 14:15:20 EST
In a message dated 11/3/01 8:46:56 AM Pacific Standard Time,
geoffwinter@earthlink.net ponders and asks :
(Q.)
>>Driving home from work 2 nights ago I sat idling in traffic for maybe 5 =
 minutes.  Upon driving away the engine began to run roughly, lost power =
 and  .  All attempts to start were unsuccessful - electrics were =
 working, engine was turning over but no ignition.  After extricating the =
 said vehicle from the middle of a busy 5-way intersection (no simple =
 matter of course in peak hour traffic) I called the AAA.  Maybe 10-15 =
 minutes after the initial incident I successfully started the engine, =
 drove home and have had no further problems.  I'm sure the problem was =
 heat related, but any ideas anyone?<<

 >>Geoff Winter
     79 MGB >>
(Possible Answer...) Geoff, Its sounds like your coil might be cracked or is
going out, hence the intermittent ability to start, then the engine will die
out or start running badly. As the engine/coil starts to warm up, it causes
the crack or short in the coil to arc out and stop the car from running due
to lack of adequate spark to the cars distributer. Also remember as a rule of
thumb (Thumb Rule!) Always start at the easiest (is there spark or
gasoline,Yes/No?) the filters, plugs, points, valves, wiring, electrical
shorts, flat cam lobes, etc. Be realistic when you appraise your mechanical
skills, If you can't fix it yourself take it to somebody that can. In the
long run it usually works out for the best. (and sometimes cheaper, too!)
Cheerio! Albert Escalante 1978 MGB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///