Re: Ignition warning light

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: Ignition warning light
From: bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 10:14:16 -0600
Paul:

The MGB manual I have doesn't show these extra diodes you
describe.  It goes up to 1972.  On page N.27 is a circuit diagram
for the early 16AC alternator and the warning light is connected
to the + terminal of the external control box.

No circuit diagram for the later 16ARC type is shown.  A line
drawing shows the internal electronic regulator.

The latest wiring diagram for the 1972 MGB shows the warning
light connected to a separate line coming from the alternator.
But there is no indication that it is connected to the "field"
windings.

My 1972 240Z has an external mechanical voltage regulator and its
connections are similar to the early MGB setup in that the
warning light is connected to the output of the alternator which
is not the field windings.

Could you send me via email the wiring or circuit diagram showing
the warning lamp is connected to the field windings and the extra
diodes used in that circuit?

I still think my original hypothesis about why the warning lamp
doesn't show if you're overloading the charging circuit is
correct.  Nothing will show on the lamp until the battey's
voltage has dropped to around nine volts.  AT least that would be
correct for the early systems whose circuit diagrams I have.

Blake

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///